»

Monday, January 18, 2010

Handmade Heaven

I heart handmade. I used to heart it because I made it. Now, I heart it because I respect it. I respect it so much, in fact, that I made a club devoted to it. It's called ReddingHandmade. It's technically an local Etsy team made up of Redding residents that make handmade items.

I've been working on this group for a few weeks but I've been dreaming about it for years. Even before I moved to Redding, I daydreamed about a creative collective in all forms and mediums. I fantasized of creativity parties where we teach each other the craft that we ourselves have fine tuned. I rehearsed workshops where I could share what I've learned the hard way and others could spring from a higher platform than the one I started on. I envisioned an overall attitude of generosity in the way that creative people steward their knowledge.

And so, a week and a half ago, I began by emailing local Etsians and asked if they'd be interested in a Redding team. I have to admit that I was taken aback by the sincere and enthusiastic responses that I received from every one of the local artists I contacted. That enthusiasm has compelled me to action, and swift action at that.

I have already established all of the solid social media outlets that define our online culture. And now, we have our first meeting set for the end of this month. That means I'll get to meet all of the interested parties that want to see the art of handmade more accessible to the Redding community. I'm also in the works of planning an Open House for our debut. It will be next month.

If you live in or near Redding, have or desire to have an Etsy shop, and recognize the virtue of handmade, we'd love for you to join us! Even if you're none of these things, your support is imperative to our success. Check out the following links and let us know what you think. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook and read our blogs once in awhile. And more than anything, support your local businesses!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/reddinghandmade
Facebook Fanpage: www.facebook.com/reddinghandmade
Blogger: www.reddinghandmade.blogspot.com
Ning Site (for Members): www.reddinghandmade.ning.com

1 comment:

Diamonds Rings said...

Great made thanks