»

Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Roots

I have become increasingly aware, in the last year or so, that I should revisit my roots.

I've been making jewelry since 2005 and I started with a distinctly "my own" style.  Even though I taught myself with other people's work, my disassembling and reassembling seemed to turn something pretty into something unique.  I uncovered the mysteries of jewelry assembly by both my hands on "research" as well as by reading everything I could get my hands on.

About  6 months ago, I discovered a mostly strung necklace filled with big, plump, copper freshwater pearls and a myriad of garnet shapes and sizes.  I didn't have the heart to unravel the intricate pattern that I'd so easily set 4 and a half years ago.  So, I instead blended it.


I used my now tried and true technique of lacing the back third of a necklace with a singular stone as to bring a bit of extra focus to it.  Though the row of stones are the same at the back rather than part of the overall pattern, the idea breaks up the design so that the ends of a necklace become as much of a focal as the center.

Another technique that I used to incorporate regularly within my work was the idea of asymmetry.  If you take a close look at most of my work, you will see this "lack of pattern" an ever-existing theme within the style of my designs.  But, its not really a lack of pattern at all.  Rather, the pattern is simply more intricate than many designers employ.  You have to look closely, study the whole, and see that the lack of pattern becomes the pattern.

The pieces that feature this "lack of pattern" are like witty conversationalists.  Most don't get it.  But, every now and then, someone will notice and be highly amused.  They'll commend your work in a different sort of way that is like a secret handshake.  And then, you know they know.

No comments: